POSITION TITLE: Classroom Instructor
QUALIFICATIONS: Demonstrate a competency of the English language
Bachelor Degree or Masters Degree from an accredited college/university
Current Kansas State Teaching Certification
Health Certificate on file in the Central Office
Desire to continue career improvement
RESPONSIBLE TO: Building Principal
PURPOSE: The Classroom Instructor creates a positive learning environment to facilitate
the personal- social- and intellectual development of students. In order to
respond to the individual needs and abilities of students- the Classroom Instructor
must work closely with students- parents- and other staff and administration of
Independence USD 446
PAYMENT RATE: According to negotiated agreement
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plan and implement effective lessons- using time- materials and resources effectively.
2. Motivate students through effective communications and evaluative responses.
3. Display a thorough knowledge of curriculum and subject matter.
4. Demonstrate awareness of the needs of students and provide for individual differences.
5. Set high expectations for student’s achievement and behavior.
6. Demonstrate effective interpersonal relationships with others.
7. Establish and maintain a positive climate for learning through appropriate classroom management.
8. Maintain current curriculum and instructional practices.
9. Coordinate and supervise field trips.
10. Facilitate the personal- social- and intellectual development of students.
11. Assist with the activities of student organizations.
12. Attend and assist when necessary with school events such as musical programs- athletics- student
recognition ceremonies- graduation- and open house.
13. See that district policies are observed during all activities.
14. Obtain advance approval of the Principal for all activities and expenditures.
15. Participate actively in the school improvement process (QPA- NCA- etc.).
16. Adhere to all district health and safety policies.
17. Other duties as assigned by the Principal- or other Administrative Staff.
18. Communicate effectively with all members of the school district and community.
19. Operate equipment appropriately as required.
20. React to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
21. Support the value of an education.
22. Support the philosophy and mission of Independence USD 446.
23. Keep abreast of new information- innovative ideas and techniques.
24. An essential function of this position is attendance.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
1. Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
2. Occasionally requires physical exertion to manually move- lift- carry- pull- or push heavy
objects or materials.
3. Occasionally requires stooping- kneeling- bending- turning- and reaching.
4. Occasional climbing of steps may be required in some buildings.
5. Must work indoors and outdoors year-round.
6. Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
Revised January 2002
Independence USD 446 enrolls approximately 2,000 students in grades K-12. The district operates four attendance centers: Independence High School (grades 9-12), Independence Middle School (grades 6-8), Jefferson School (grades 3-5), and Eisenhower School (grades K-2). All Independence USD 446 schools are fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and have earned full outcomes accreditation through the Kansas Department of Education Quality Performance Accreditation (QPA) process.
The mission of the Independence Public Schools is to educate all students
to succeed and compete in a global society.
• All students can learn and succeed.
• All students have a right to an equitable education.
• All students have a right to dignity and positive self-worth.
• All students have goals and opportunities to achieve.
• All students will be more successful when parents, schools, and communities hold high expectations for them.
• Schools that provide opportunities for parental and community involvement will be more successful.
• Demonstrate mastery of the foundation skills including: communications, math, science, social studies and technology.
• Work effectively, both independently and in groups.
• Think creatively, make decisions and solve problems.
• Demonstrate responsibility, respect and honesty.
To learn more about our district, please go to our website and view our Independence USD 446 Teacher Promotional Video.
To learn more about the community of