Low Incidence Teacher-
Special Education Instructor
Purpose: The Special Education Instructor creates a positive learning environment to facilitate the personal- social and intellectual development of students by designing instruction that meets their individual needs and abilities. The Special Education Instructor must work closely with the staff and administration of ANW Special Education Cooperative #603.
Responsible to: Director- Assistant Director and Coordinators
Salary: Annual Contract
Date: Aug. 2017
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college/university.
- Current Kansas State Teaching License with appropriate special education endorsement on file in the Central Office.
- A demonstrated commitment to career development and life-long learning.
- Knowledge- Skill and Abilities
- Facilitate the personal- social and intellectual development of students.
- Establish a positive learning environment and respond to the individual needs of students.
- Ensure that all activities conform to ANW Coop guidelines.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the school district.
- Work effectively with community organizations.
- Appropriately operate all equipment as required.
- React to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
- Ensure all students served are in their least restrictive environment.
- Support the value of an education.
- Support the philosophy and mission of the ANW Coop.
- Comply with all ANW Coop policies- rules and regulations.
- Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires the ability to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods.
- Occasionally requires move- lift- carry- pull or push medium to heavy work objects or materials. Medium work is defined as exerting 20 to 50 pounds up to heavy work which is defined as exerting 50 to 100 pounds.
- Occasionally requires the ability to stoop- bend and reach.
- Requires the ability to occasionally travel.
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors year-round.
- Must be able to work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job.
- Assist in the early recognition and prevention of educational concerns.
- Participate as a team member in the comprehensive evaluation- review and re-evaluation process when requested.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of students` Individual Education Plan
- Plan and implement effective lessons based on the student IEP`s- using time- materials and resources effectively.
- Implement training and other activities as recommended by related service providers- including occupational and physical therapists.
- Monitor student progress and make informed- timely educational decisions.
- Motivate students through effective communication and evaluative feedback.
- In conjunction with the IEP team- provide the students with the least restrictive environment for all IEP goals.
- Demonstrate awareness of the needs of students and provide for individual differences.
- Set high expectations for student achievement and behavior.
- Direct and supervise the work of special education paraprofessionals as assigned.
- When working in the general education classroom- establish and maintain a positive climate for learning working in concert with the general education instructors.
- Design instructional activities that are aligned with current Coop / district curriculum and instructional practices.
- Provide daily feeding and/or mealtime supervision- toileting and hygiene care as needed.
- Plan and implement transitional programs for students when appropriate.
- Consult with parents- teachers- administrators and others concerning the needs of student and special services that are available.
- Provide appropriate information to students and families regarding community agencies and services available to them.
- Cooperate with agencies serving students and their families.
- Assist teachers in the development and implementation of curriculum accommodation /modifications and appropriate classroom strategies.
- Adhere to required program guidelines as defined by the Kansas Special Education
- Display a thorough knowledge of curriculum and subject matter.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal relationships with others.
- Assist with public awareness activities that lead to a better understanding of the needs of exceptional children.
- Assist students in developing feelings of self-worth and in making social adjustments- which permit them to cope with disabilities.
- Order and maintain an adequate inventory of materials and supplies.
- Maintain appropriate- confidential records and provide timely reports.
- Keep abreast of new information- innovative ideas and techniques.
- Obtain prior approval for all special activities and expenditures.
- Adhere to all district health and safety policies
- Other duties as assigned by the Director- which are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications of the position.
NA NA Job Start Date:
NAApplications Due By:
Job Contact Information
ANW Education Cooperative Interlocal USD 603 www.anwcoop.com
ANW employs approximately 400 plus upbeat and energetic teachers, support staff, and administration that have students as our number one priority.
We provide support and mentorship for all new staff members.
ANW provides a 2-week new teacher academy with stipend pay to better equip our new staff with the tools they need to be successful.
ANW believes in providing training opportunities for professional growth.
We provide special education services to 8 school districts to enable special education students to reach and achieve their goals.
ANW also offers a forgivable loan program to help with tuition payment for special education classes on the participant's plan of study at a Kansas University. In exchange for tuition payment the participant agrees to be in ANW's employment for an equal amount of participating semesters. To date, ANW has paid for a total of 45 graduate classes for staff. This program is not only available for teachers who are on waivers but also provisional license.
ANW provides special education services to USD#101 (Erie - Galesburg), USD#256(Moran), USD#257(Iola), USD#258(Humboldt), USD#366(Yates Center), USD#387(Altoona - Midway), USD#413(Chanute), USD#479(Colony).
ANW service area is conveniently located 2 hours from Wichita, Kansas City, Topeka, Joplin, Mo. and Tulsa, OK. We are made up of small rural communities with access to larger cities.
P.O. Box 207
Humboldt, Kansas Go Back