AMS Custodian - Full time 10:30 AM to 7:00 PM
Atchison Public Schools- USD 409
The job description listed below is designed to provide a general outline of the expectations of the Custodian in USD 409. As such the description should not be interpreted as all encompassing or inclusive.
Purpose: The Custodian provides a safe- attractive- comfortable- and cleanenvironment to ensure full and productive use of district facilities. To accomplish these tasks the Custodian must work closely with the staff administration of the District. This position is a non-exempt position according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Responsible to: Head Custodian
Payment Rate: According to classified salary schedule and benefits to be established by the Board of Education
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Health and Inoculation Certificate on file in the Central Office (after employment offer is made).
- Understand chemical hazards.
- Work independently without supervision.
- Manually lift a maximum of 60 pounds.
- Desire to continue career improvement by enhancing skills and job performance.
- Requires physical exertion to manually move- lift- carry- pull- or push heavy objects or materials up to 60 lbs.
- Requires stooping- keeling- crawling- bending- turning- reaching- climbing and balancing.
- Move furniture or equipment within the building as required.
- Must work in and around dust- fumes- and odors.
- Must work in noisy and crowded environments- with numerous interruptions.
- Must work indoors and outdoors in a variety of temperatures.
- Provide a safe- attractive- comfortable- and clean environment to ensure full and productive use of district facilities.
- Communicate and work effectively and cooperative with members of the school district and community.
- React to changes and frequent interruptions in a productive and positive manner- and handle other tasks as assigned.
- Operate all equipment and machinery as required. Jewelry should not be worn when operating machinery.
- Work to implement the vision and mission of the district.
- Regular attendance is required of all employees subject to allowed leave in accordance with district policy or negotiated agreement- as appropriate. Excessive absences or tardiness- unauthorized leave or unexcused absences may result in disciplinary action including termination of employment.
- Keep building and premises (including sidewalks- driveways- and play areas) neat and clean and safe at all times.
- Clean classroom and office floors daily. Dump pencil sharpeners. Dump trash and replace bags. Dust furniture. Line up desks. Clean blackboards- erasers- and chalk trays. Clean classroom sinks and monitor fountains for leaks.
- Clean corridors each day. Dust lockers tops- wash and repair as needed. Clean drinking fountains daily.
- Mop restrooms floors and clean all sanitary fixtures daily. Clean mirrors. Fill soap- towel- and toilet paper dispensers. Check restrooms throughout the day.
- Sweep bleachers- stage- and stairs. Clean behind bleachers and mop as needed.
- Replace light bulbs as needed throughout the building. Remove gum- tape- and markers from floor and walls. Dust walls as needed. Clean air return and vent louvers as needed. Dust window ledges. Buff and recoat floor as needed. Wash windows inside and outside at least twice each year- and more frequently if needed.
- Sweep- shovel- and spread sand on walks as appropriate.
- Open and close buildings each school day. Secure building. Doors may need to remain locked from the outside in certain areas.
- Daily raise the United States Flag- Kansas flag and- where appropriate the DARE flag before school commences and take down after school closing.
- Regulate heat- ventilation- and air conditioning systems a to provide temperatures appropriate to the season- ensure economical usage of fuel- water- electricity- and maintain mechanical equipment as directed.
- Check daily to ensure all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during the hours of building occupancy.
- Ensure that all doors and windows are secured and all lights are turned off (except as necessary for safety reasons) at the close of school each day.
- Immediately report unauthorized persons on the school property to the principal.
- Immediately report damaged school property to the principal.
- Make minor building repairs- and promptly report needed major repairs to supervisor.
- Keep current on new information- innovative ideas and techniques.
- Observe and follow all school district policies at all times.
- Respond to information requests in a cooperative- courteous- and timely manner.
- Keep information and records confidential.
- Implement and follow all District health and safety policies- including all precautions of the Blood borne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
- Perform other duties and assume other responsibilities assigned by the Building and Grounds Director- Custodial Supervisor- or the Administrative Staff.
Term of Employment: Twelve Month Employee At Will
Evaluation: Performance of this position will be evaluated by the Head Custodian and/or Building Principal according to USD 409 School Board of Education policies and Kansas Statutes.https://atchison.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=259
NA NA Job Start Date:
NAApplications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Atchison USD 409 www.usd409.net
USD 409 Atchison Public Schools has approximately 1700 students. Our district is made up of four schools, all in the same town:
Elementary School grades PK-5
Middle School grades 6-8
High School grades 9-12
Central School grade 1-12
Atchison is a unique rural family town, located on the Missouri River approximately 50 miles from Kansas City, Topeka, Lawrence and St. Joseph. We have the advantage of enjoying the quiet life but the big city attractions are just one hour away.Employer Address:
626 Commercial Street Atchison, Kansas