Assistant Teacher 0-3 #AT-GAL-A -- Galena, Kansas
PLEASE APPLY AT: WWW.SEK-CAP.COM
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist and support the implementation of an early childhood education program that provides quality developmentally appropriate services to children and families that meets program, state, and federal regulations per the Head Start Performance Standards.
- Be and advocate for Head Start in the community.
- Team with center staff to provide an inviting and nurturing learning environment for children, families, volunteers, and staff.
- Provide full services to assigned families per the Head Start Performance Standards, under the direct supervision of the Lead Teacher.
- In absence of Site Manager and Lead Teacher, the Assistant Teacher supervises the paraprofessional and bus driver.
- Individualize teaching to enable children to attain key curriculum and social/emotional goals with the assistance of parents or primary caregivers.
- Responsible to ensure completion of data entry in Agency approved Data System
- Responsible to ensure completion of data entry for child observations, home visits, parent -teacher conferences, meal counts, attendance and all other assigned data.
- Participate in clinical team meetings by giving input for the lead teacher to share developmental information and therapeutic results each week to the team.
- Team with center staff to recruit, train and encourage parent and community volunteers’ participation at the center and document volunteer hours to fulfill federal match requirements.
- Insure parents/primary caregivers are informed of all policies included in the Parent Handbook.
- Team with parents to schedule all health appointments, identify children and families with nutritional problems, post children’s allergies, in the kitchen and inform staff of all children’s allergies.
- Carry out all classroom and playground duties as assigned.
- Be a role model for the children before, during meals and at clean up time.
- Promote and model excellence in daily program operations that support the provision of quality services for children and families, and a learning environment where all staff can thrive.
- Obtain and share knowledge of theories and techniques for adult education and Early Childhood development.
- Maintain dependable, punctual attendance.
- Assist in setting-up a developmentally appropriate classroom based on Head Start Performance Standards-using Creative Curriculum, PBS (Positive Behavior Support) and other curricula provided by programs.
- Travel within agency area with occasional out of area trips for training.
- Assist with developmental and social and emotional screenings and observe the developmental level of each child making appropriate referrals if needed.
- Be knowledgeable of Performance Standards, Policies and Procedures, Positive Behavior Support (PBS) ASQ-3, ASQ-SE and Creative Curriculum.
- Participate in Individualized Education Plan (IEP), Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP), and/or Person Centered Plan (PCP) meetings as needed for children with special needs while taking the role of resource person and parent advocate.
- Assist with informing parents of child’s progress at parent conferences and/or monthly home visits or upon request of parent.
- Utilize Positive Behavior Support (PBS) strategies to prevent and defuse challenging behavior.
- Comply with Head Start Performance Standards.
- Respect and support cultural differences and diverse family structures.
- Demonstrate good work habits such as arriving on time and adhering to appropriate break times.
- Attend mandatory In-Service trainings and staff meetings.
- Responsibility to report any suspected abuse or neglect to appropriate authority.
- Advocate for SEK-CAP, Inc. in the community.
- Maintain and assure confidentiality and privacy of SEK-CAP, Inc. customers.
- Uphold and promote the core values and mission statement of SEK-CAP, Inc.
- Support management decisions both in actions and words.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Basic computer skills.
- Basic operation skills of general office equipment such as photocopiers, faxes, and phone systems.
- Ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature, and flexible.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public and to communicate effectively and clearly both orally and in writing.
- Resourceful and well organized self-starter, needing minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with co-workers, community partners, and customers.
- Ability to learn and adapt.
- Knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards/State Licensing requirements.
- Knowledge of area resources
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Prefer a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood or Degree in related field with 15 hours in Early Childhood education, have or obtain Educational/Experience requirements for state licensing within 30 days.
- One-year experience working with young children and families is preferred.
- Obtain CDA credentials within 18 months of employment and keep current if does not have Early Childhood degree.
- Obtain First Aid card and CPR certification and keep current.
- Successfully complete a physical exam and TB skin test before beginning employment and every three years thereafter.
- Possess current, valid driver’s license and meet agency insurance underwriting guidelines.
- Submit to and pass standard criminal history check.
- Submit to and pass standard drug screen test.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Sit or occasionally stand; walk and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Required vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Outside weather conditions.
- Extreme cold and extreme heat.
- Noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
SEK-CAP, Inc. Job Start Date:
July-26-2019Applications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Stephenie Montgomery - firstname.lastname@example.org - 620-724-8204
SEK-CAP, Inc. www.sek-cap.com
Community Action Program
401 N Sinnet Girard, Kansas