Carpentry Instructor - Norton Correctional Facility
Greenbush - The Southeast Kansas Education Service Center is looking for a qualified individual that is highly motivated to teach incarcerated males at the Norton Correctional Facility. This position involves working directly with incarcerated males with a class roster between 10-15 students varying in age and abilities. Instructor is responsible for classroom management, teaching National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) curriculum, OSHA 10, and other duties such as communication with facility staff and administrative paperwork. This is a great opportunity for an individual looking to pass on their carpentry skills and knowledge to others.
Anticipated start date: August 12, 2019. Position will remain open until filled. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Summary: Responsible for providing instruction in specific career/technical subjects as determined by the Kansas Department of Corrections.
- Have a minimum (4,000 hours) of valid occupational experience directly related to the career/technical certifications included in the program.
- Have a GED or High School diploma and be willing to meet all requirements and standards (competency testing and required college courses) established by the Kansas Board of Education for certification as a Career Technical Instructor or Kansas Board of Regents for approval as a Career Technical Instructor.
- Hold an industry certification relevant to the subject matter of assignment.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license.
- Immunization records up-to-date.
- Facilitate the personal and intellectual development of students.
- Assist students with developing good work and study habits.
- Establish a positive learning environment and respond to the individual needs of students.
- Ensure that all activities conform to correctional facility and school guidelines. This includes management and inventory of tools, equipment, toxics and caustics when applicable.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with all members of the correctional facility, school and other education programs in the selection, assignment, and management of students.
- Direct the activities of inmate tutors/aides when assigned.
- Appropriately operate equipment as required.
- Support the value of correctional education.
- Support the philosophy and mission of the correctional facility and school.
- Seek and obtain production agreements when applicable with outside organizations to provide actual hands-on work activities for students in a production setting.
- Manage “Shop Account” activities when applicable so that they provide legitimate learning experiences related to the instructional area and manage funds provided for this activity so they do not produce a loss of revenue to the program.
- Utilize industry developed certification curriculum and student competency profiles for instructional area(s) being taught and develop a student management system for competency-based learning.
- Provide and manage learning activities (as much as possible) so they provide and represent skills performed in the occupation.
- Support the Service Center mission, goals, and objectives.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Demonstrate proficiency in ability to produce excellent work as requested by the executive team.
- Assume responsibility for individual professional growth by staying current with literature, research, and/or practices.
- Demonstrate proficiency in ability to effectively and regularly communicate with Service Center employees and constituents.
- Complete all assignments in a time-sensitive manner as determined by Supervisor.
- Meet all safety requirements as directed by the Service Center.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or designee.
- Manages all job duties with mobility, agility, and dexterity.
- Requires long periods of sitting and standing.
- Ability to lift a maximum of 40 pounds.
- Occasional travel required.
- Work in a noisy and crowded environment with many interruptions.
- Must work in environment that provides education to students who have been convicted of a felony crime by a Court of Law.
Greenbush ESC # 609
Excellent benefit package: Supporting employees and their families is important to Greenbush. We provide access to exceptional Health, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance options for all employees who work 20 hours or more a week. Additionally, Greenbush participates in the Kansas Public Retirement System (KPERS) and provides excellent 403B plan options. Greenbush contributes to each and every employees retirement plan by matching up to $90 a month for any Greenbush employee that contributes to one of the 403B plans. Employees also can participate in flex spending accounts and salary protection programs. All employees are provided with sick days, personal leave, and holidays subject to the length of their contract. Equal Opportunity Employer Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Job Start Date:
August-12-2019Applications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Jay Hertel - email@example.com -
Greenbush ESC # 609 www.greenbush.org
Ensuring Equal Educational Opportunities for Everyone!
With more than 500 employees, the Southeast Kansas Education Service Center— Greenbush offers programs to school districts that are otherwise unavailable, unaffordable, or just more effective and efficient through a cooperative effort. At the core of every Greenbush service is the uncompromising belief that every learner, regardless of age or geographic location, deserves equal educational opportunities.
When working for Greenbush, you could potentially be working anywhere in the state of Kansas. We have more than 80 locations, with the main offices located in Girard, Lawrence, and Topeka. Our programs reach far beyond these locations allowing us to offer a variety of services that include, but are not limited to:
· Hands-on learning labs at the Abernathy Science Education Center
· Providing professional development
· Team-building at the Challenge Ropes Course
· Experiential learning at the Camp and Retreat Center
· Helping learners receive their diploma or credit recovery via virtual and online learning
· Assisting Special Education agencies to access reimbursement for school provided health services
· Specialized learning through Special Day Schools
· Parents as Teachers
· Vision/Hearing and Tele-Therapy services
· Migrant Education
· Infant Toddler Services
· Administrative Services
· Cooperative Purchasing
· Custodial and Transportation services
Greenbush employees are as unique as their programs and enjoy a variety of opportunities. They are supported with competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a shared belief in supporting schools across the state. Visit our website at www.greenbush.org for more information of all Greenbush programs and services!Employer Address:
947 W. 47 Hwy Girard, Kansas