Dean of Students - Fairfax Learning Center
Greenbush - The Southeast Kansas Education Service Center, in partnership with the Kansas City, KS School District is seeking an outstanding leader to serve as Dean of Students of an alternative high school.
Students in this innovative school work in a blended learning environment that focuses on building a responsive culture and climate based on positive relationships and trust.
The effective candidate will coordinate a building-wide restorative justice process that has improved attendance, student learning, and reduced suspensions. The effective candidate will have skills in collaboration, instruction, and a passion for building strong relationships with alternative learning students and partner agencies.
Anticipated start date: August 1, 2019. Position will remain open until filled. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Summary: The Dean of Students will report to the Principal and work with students and staff to facilitate skills and behaviors among students that contribute to the development of mature, able and responsible members of society.
- Minimum requirement of a Kansas license as a Secondary Level Teacher.
- Maintains communication with administrators, teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action to meet the educational needs of students.
- Compiles data for statistical purposes and presents data on a regular basis.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
- Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program.
- Ability to plan and implement lessons based on school objectives and the needs and abilities of students.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, peers, parents and community;
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely in written or oral communication.
- Ability to integrate technology into the curriculum and instruction.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff, parents, students, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Participate in staff development meetings to update skills and improve knowledge - as well as to satisfy recertification/re-licensure requirements.
- Ability to use technology, i.e., internet, e-mail, Microsoft Word, Student Data Management Software.
- Kansas Building Administrator Licensure.
- Previous experience in building administration.
- Previous experience in working with students in Alternative classroom environment or school.
- In collaboration with the Building Principal and Staff, lead and coordinate a school-wide Restorative Justice/PBIS approach to behavior and discipline
- After receiving training, provide interpretation of test data and grades for students, parents, and staff.
- Assist in the facilitation of assessments as needed.
- Collaborate with building administration on an appropriate plan to address school culture and climate, specifically bullying.
- Facilitate Support Groups based on the results of a Needs Assessment.
- Facilitate and Coordinate team meetings for students who have behavioral/social/emotional concerns.
- Gather behavioral data on students who have behavioral concerns, using different observation tools, providing strategies for classroom teachers.
- Collaborate with administrators to identify trigger behaviors that result in frequent office referrals and impede instruction; and to reduce the number of referrals through prevention strategies.
- Consult and work with parents regarding behavioral and academic interventions Refer students and parents to appropriate community resources effectively with Student Services.
- Communicate effectively with students, staff, and parents.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and professional judgment.
- Participate in IEP meetings as requested.
- Collaborate with other staff or service providers to problem solve issues and assist in developing individual plans that will meet the needs of students.
- Consult and collaborate with school staff and high school counselors on the transition of students to and from their assigned school.
- Guide students through career awareness and planning.
- Assist with parent conferences related to attendance and other academic concerns
- Adhere to school discipline procedures and code of conduct
- Assist with supervision of the school
- Participate in classroom walkthroughs and observations of student and teaching behaviors with follow-up to ensure that negative behavior is minimized
- Assist in the operational needs of the school
- Assist with other duties as assigned by the Principal and Greenbush Central Administration.
- Support the Service Center mission, goals, and objectives.
- Maintain a neat and appropriate appearance
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency an ability to produce excellent work as requested by the executive team.
- Demonstrate proficiency in ability to effectively and regularly communicate with Service Center employees and constituents.
- Complete all assignments in a time-sensitive manner as determined by Executive Director or designee.
- Meet all safety requirements as directed by the Service Center.
Greenbush ESC # 609
- Manage all job duties with mobility, agility, and dexterity.
- Requires long periods of sitting and standing.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must occasionally work in noisy and crowded environments with numerous interruptions.
Excellent benefit package: Supporting employees and their families is important to Greenbush. We provide access to exceptional Health, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance options for all employees who work 20 hours or more a week. Additionally, Greenbush participates in the Kansas Public Retirement System (KPERS) and provides excellent 403B plan options. Greenbush contributes to each and every employees retirement plan by matching up to $75 a month for any Greenbush employee that contributes to one of the 403B plans. Employees also can participate in flex spending accounts and salary protection programs. All employees are provided with sick days, personal leave, and holidays subject to the length of their contract. Equal Opportunity Employer Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Job Start Date:
August-1-2019Applications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Don Grosdidier - firstname.lastname@example.org -
Greenbush ESC # 609 www.greenbush.org
Ensuring Equal Educational Opportunities for Everyone!
With more than 500 employees, the Southeast Kansas Education Service Center— Greenbush offers programs to school districts that are otherwise unavailable, unaffordable, or just more effective and efficient through a cooperative effort. At the core of every Greenbush service is the uncompromising belief that every learner, regardless of age or geographic location, deserves equal educational opportunities.
When working for Greenbush, you could potentially be working anywhere in the state of Kansas. We have more than 80 locations, with the main offices located in Girard, Lawrence, and Topeka. Our programs reach far beyond these locations allowing us to offer a variety of services that include, but are not limited to:
· Hands-on learning labs at the Abernathy Science Education Center
· Providing professional development
· Team-building at the Challenge Ropes Course
· Experiential learning at the Camp and Retreat Center
· Helping learners receive their diploma or credit recovery via virtual and online learning
· Assisting Special Education agencies to access reimbursement for school provided health services
· Specialized learning through Special Day Schools
· Parents as Teachers
· Vision/Hearing and Tele-Therapy services
· Migrant Education
· Infant Toddler Services
· Administrative Services
· Cooperative Purchasing
· Custodial and Transportation services
Greenbush employees are as unique as their programs and enjoy a variety of opportunities. They are supported with competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a shared belief in supporting schools across the state. Visit our website at www.greenbush.org for more information of all Greenbush programs and services!Employer Address:
947 W. 47 Hwy Girard, Kansas