Director of Secondary Education
Director of Secondary Education
The Director of Secondary Education provides leadership for all secondary instructional programs.The Director provides direct support to building principals and staff in the areas of instruction, data use, student needs, and academic and social-emotional programming.The Director is the liaison for post-secondary partnerships.
- Master’s Degree in Education Administration or Master’s Degree in Curriculum and Instruction.
- Current Kansas teaching license with building leadership endorsement.
- Secondary building-level administrative leadership experience.
The successful candidate for Director of Secondary Education will:
- Support the vision and mission of USD 305.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of curriculum and instructional pedagogy.
- Have knowledge about national and state secondary curriculum standards.
- Facilitate the development of district-level curriculum and assessments.
- Promote effective instruction and research-based practices.
- Understand and promote social-emotional learning.
- Develop career and technical education opportunities for students.
- Promote partnerships with post-secondary institutions and business/industry.
- Assist in implementation of tiered supports.
- Promote the use of Individual Plans of Study.
- Model effective instruction and professional development.
- Possess human relation skills to work with groups of teachers and leaders.
- Engage in instructional coaching.
- Exhibit organizational and planning skills.
- Understand and communicate complex ideas or concepts.
- Present information regarding student achievement in relation to federal, state, and district standards to various constituencies.
- Set goals, construct action plans, and carry out such goals and plans.
- Possess initiative to keep current on research about trends, innovations, and effective practices at the secondary level.
- Function in a supervisory role.
- Serve as a team player with strong conflict-resolution skills.
- Possess strong technological skills.
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with administrators, teachers, media specialists, guidance counselors, and other school staff to strengthen all aspects of the instructional program.
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with district-level directors and program coordinators.
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with schools to strengthen vertical articulation and to create a seamless K-12 instructional program.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires prolonged sitting, standing, or walking.
- Occasionally requires physical exertion to manually lift, move, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials.
- Occasional stooping, bending, and reaching.
- Requires some travel (driving skills and physical ability to drive a vehicle required).
- Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Studies promising practices and recommends the establishment of pilot programs, within board guidelines.
- Provides district leadership in data management and use to inform instruction.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the district administrative instructional leadership trainings.
- Serves as a liaison between the schools and other agencies on projects.
- Works with school improvement team to promote instructional improvement.
- Collaborates to lead curriculum development.
- Reviews, recommends, and approves changes in the secondary curricular program and changes in promotion and graduation requirements in accord with policy.
- Promotes instructional research; receives and approves requests to do instructional research.
- Directs and oversees efforts of principals and staff in recommending curriculum changes and revisions.
- Supervises secondary instructional coaches and counselors.
- Works with instructional coaches in evaluating and recommending textbooks and other instructional materials and equipment.
- Makes regular reports to the superintendent and board.
- Informs and interprets the secondary instructional program to the community through various means of communication.
- Coordinates secondary instructional resources.
- Provides leadership in the area of secondary program improvement.
- Works with school and district leaders to conduct thorough needs assessments for school improvement initiatives.
- Introduces secondary teachers to new methods, materials, and instructional strategies that, through research, have proven to increase student achievement.
- Assists teachers in incorporating the use of technology into the instructional program.
- Observes district policies at all times.
- Serves as a liaison between the central office, staff, and public.
- Ability to plan organizational and team activities.
- Performs other duties as directed/requested by the Executive Director of Educational Programs.
Required Testing Certificates & Licenses
Pre-Employment Drug Testing Current Kansas teaching license with district leadership endorsement, valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability
Full Year (12 month) 260 day administrative contract.
- Regular administrative evaluations.
- Evaluated by the Executive Director of Educational Programs.
Salina USD 305
Full Placement on admin salary schedule based on experience. Job Start Date:
July-1-2020Applications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Eryn Wright - email@example.com - 785-309-4726
Salina USD 305 www.usd305.com
Thank you for your interest in USD 305 Salina Public Schools. We are a proud district with the mission of "Learning for All, Whatever it takes!" USD 305 Salina Public Schools is dedicated to ongoing improvement of our academic programs and to the success of every child. We invite you to join our team which currently serves over 7,000 pre-school through 12th grade students. Educational positions are available in our early-learning center, eight elementaries, two middle, two high schools, alternative school, special education cooperative, adult education center.
Salina USD 305 is a progressive, learner-focused school district dedicated to systemic change and innovation. Academic achievement for all students is the focus of every decision made in Salina USD 305. We believe our entire school community is responsible for the success of our students and we each share in the responsibility. This takes everyone - working cooperatively - to reach our common goal…
Learning for all, Whatever it takes!
Salina USD 305 provides the perfect place to learn and grow. Our students continue to make positive gains on the Kansas state assessments and score at or above the state average on the ACT. Graduation rates are far above state and national averages. Our community has high expectations for our schools and high expectations for each student. Our schools are safe, orderly learning environments where mutual respect and acceptance are the norm, and high-achieving students and staff can thrive!
Our School Community
Salina, Kansas family-oriented community in our nation’s heartland, blending just the right amount of rural heritage and hospitality with the excitement and amenities of urban America to make Salina a great place to live, work and visit!
Support for modern facilities and access to state-of-the-art technology are just two examples of this community’s bold and visionary commitment to public education. The community expects our public schools to succeed and is willing to step in and do what it takes to make this happen. Our Strategic Plan, a road map for the new millennium, was established by community members and educators working together.
Academic achievement for all students is at the center of every decision made in Salina USD 305. This is the focus of the district’s long-range strategic planning and the continuous school improvement process.
Award Winning Schools and Students
The distinctions earned by schools, staff and students of Salina USD 305 are too numerous to list here! These include local, state and national awards and recognitions, such as Teachers of the Year, Horizon Awards for New Teachers, a national Blue Ribbon School, state and national fine arts and academic awards and state athletic championships...to name just a few!
1511 Gypsum Ave Salina, Kansas