POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for the supervision of the Head Start classroom day-to-day operations and facilitate the involvement of parents and community members in the Head Start program. Collaborate with Coordinators to insure an integrated balance of Head Start services as per the program work plans to meet Head Start Performance Standards. Additionally, must have knowledge of and support the Agency’s mission, vision and code of ethics and strategic plan for helping people, changing lives. No overtime may be worked without prior authorization. Overtime must be approved in advance by the Head Start Director. Must comply with drug and alcohol free workplace policy. Position contingent upon continued program funding. Hiring subject to Policy Council approval. Head Start parents will be given preference.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ESSENTIAL:
• Responsible for overseeing the educational aspects of the classroom, including staff and volunteers.
• Promote the Head Start philosophy and educational objectives.
• Maintain an appropriate classroom environment needed to support the goals of the education component.
• Maintain a safe, orderly and clean learning environment.
• Provide supervision of children.
• Communicate with children at their developmental level.
• Participate in activities with the children.
• Assess children’s needs and developmental progress on an ongoing basis.
• Develop and implement weekly lesson plans.
• Promote and participate with healthy eating at meal times.
• Ensure two home visits and two parent teacher conferences are conducted by teaching staff each program year for each child.
• Supervise teacher aides in the classroom.
• Orchestrate and manage developmentally appropriate environment for pre-school age children.
• Attend staff meetings, workshops, and in-service training provided by the agency.
• Support the ECKAN code of ethical conduct.
• Maintain confidentiality of all agency information.
• Maintain accurate and up to date records per policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s degree (or higher) in Early Childhood Development.
• Be able to pass required KBI, background and health tests.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Must be able to participate in daily kneeling, stooping, bending and sitting on the floor, and occasionally lifting up to 40 pounds.
• Possess a valid driver’s license and comply with ECKAN insurance standards, as applicable.
• General office and computer skills.
ECKAN Head Start covers the following counties: Anderson, Coffey, Douglas, Franklin, Lyon, Osage and Miami counties in Northeast Kansas. Go to www.eckan.org for other job openings and job descriptions or to apply for a position.
contact: 785-242-7450, ext. 7209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org