Wamego USD 320- Special Services Cooperative- has a vacancy for High Incidence/Adaptive Special Education Teacher for Grades 9-12 at Wabaunsee High School for the 2019-2020 school year.
Applicants should hold or be eligible for a valid Kansas teaching license with a High Incidence or Adaptive Special Education endorsement. Certified teachers interested in pursuing an endorsement to teach special education through a waiver process are also encouraged to apply!
Interested applicants should fill out the online application and attach any applicable documents.
Please locate the online application here https://Wamego.tedk12.com/hire . This position will be posted until filled- so we encourage you to submit your application ASAP.
POSITION: Adaptive/High Incidence Special Education Teacher
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must hold- or be eligible for- an adaptive/high incidence license in special education in the state of Kansas.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal and Special Education Administrator(s)
1. Fulfill role of case manager for special education students with academic and behavioral disabilities
2. Oversee the development of compliant individualized education plans (IEP)
3. Facilitate IEP team meetings
4. Communicate frequently and effectively with parents
5. Prepare lesson plans and provide direct special education services to students
6. Create a classroom environment that is positive and conducive to learning
7. Develop and implement behavior intervention plans that include positive behavior supports
8. Work collaboratively with general education teachers to meet the needs of special education students
9. Work collaboratively with other service providers
10. Assist general education teachers with curriculum modifications necessary to enable students to participate and make progress in the general education curriculum
11. Ensure the implementation of the IEP as written.
12. Assist with evaluations of students in determining eligibility and need for special education students.
13. Assess students’ progress on a regular basis and reports this progress as required.
14. Supervise para-educators
15. Communicate as necessary with building and district administration
16. Strive to maintain and improve professional competence.
17. Attend all required staff meetings and professional development activities.
18. Other duties as assigned.
Wamego USD 320 is a progressive school district committed to working cooperatively with families and community to educate students to be responsible, problem-solving citizens who produce quality work in their individual pursuit of excellence. We accomplish this by offering relevant, academically challenging and diverse learning experiences.
The Wamego school district serves the needs of approximately 1,576 students in two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. USD 320 is the sponsoring district for the Wamego Special Services Cooperative, which serves the needs of our students as well as those in two neighboring school districts.
Our students receive a quality education documented by their outstanding assessment scores. For five consecutive years all buildings have met AYP requirements, and our high school students scored above the state’s average composite ACT score. In addition, our students consistently earn State Standard of Excellence Awards in reading, math, and writing at all grade levels.
Our teachers enjoy many benefits including an attractive salary schedule, a number of fringe benefits, generous sick leave (including a sick leave pool), small class sizes, a teacher mentoring program, and an excellent professional development program. Special incentives for teachers interested in earning their National Board certification are detailed in the district’s negotiated agreement and include a $2,000 annual bonus upon successful completion of the program.
The Wamego Teachers Association actively works with the USD 320 Board of Education to help create working conditions that benefit our students, teachers, and the school district in general. A strong, positive relationship has been developed through years of honest and empathetic dialogue used in the Interest Based Bargaining process.
Located at the intersection of Kansas Highway 99 and US Highway 24, just 13 miles east of Manhattan and 40 miles west of Topeka, Wamego offers friendly small town living with quick access to city convenience. Wamego has a vibrant business community, both downtown and along the Highway 24 corridor, that serves the many local needs of the community’s citizens. A multitude of recreational options are available in Wamego, including a beautiful 18-hole golf course; Wamego City Park which includes a swimming pool, playground, fishing pond and public tennis, basketball and pickleball courts; and a brand new recreation complex which includes four baseball/softball diamonds, two soccer fields, six tennis courts, a walking trail, and an active recreation program for youth and adults. Nearby federal reservoirs and state lakes offer excellent opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts, as well.
For those with fervor for learning, the Wamego Public library offers a multitude of volumes and periodicals, in addition to audio books, videos, microfilm and Internet access. Adult education classes are offered in Wamego through Highland Community College, and nearby at Kansas State, Washburn, and Emporia State Universities. Wamego is immersed in history with sites including Kansas’ only authentic stone Dutch Mill, the Oregon Trail, the home of Walter P. Chrysler, the Oz Museum and the Columbian Theatre. The Columbian Theatre is a unique experience for people in love with the arts. People from all across northeast Kansas come to Wamego to attend the theatre’s productions of plays and musicals.
Citizens of Wamego are well protected and cared for with a city hospital and medical clinic, the Stormont Vail Medical Clinic, city police, fire, and EMS departments. Due to our proximity to Manhattan and Topeka, quality medical specialists are easily accessible at three nearby health care centers, should the need arise.
We encourage you to visit our web site at www.usd320.com for further information about our school district. Complete application instructions may be found under the Human Resources button. We also welcome you to call our district office at 785-456-7643 with any questions you may have.