High School Teacher - Spanish Immediate Opportunity
TITLE: Spanish Teacher- Unified School District No. 500 (2018-2019)
To facilitate student comprehension and application of concepts- skills and behaviors
that contribute to the development of mature- able and responsible member of society.
To ensure continuous improvement in state and national performance levels to prepare
students for college and careers in a global society- and at every level- performance is
on-track and on-time for success.
- Ability to implement 21st Century Skills into the curriculum.
- Ability to work a full duty day in the location or locations assigned.
- In order to maximize student achievement- teachers should be able to assess student abilities as related to desired educational goals- objectives and student outcomes.
- Plans and employs a variety of appropriate instruction/learning strategies and activities which are compatible with the physical facility but serve the needs and capabilities of the students.
- In order to provide a general environment conducive to the learning process- the teacher should be able to manage the behavior of learners in the classroom and participate in the management of student behavior in other parts of the school.
- Continually communicates to students and parents (either in writing or verbally) instructional expectations- student progress or lack of progress.
- Continually assesses the student achievement and maintains appropriate assessment and evaluation documentation for institutions and individual reporting purposes.
- Actively participates in and works with other school personnel in planning effective instructional goals- objectives- methods and curriculum.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities including staff meetings- and in-service and staff development activities as required or assigned.
- Assists in the documentation of student progress by efficiently maintaining and submitting appropriate records and reports.
- Ensures that the classroom and/or instructional environment is attractive- healthful- safe and generally conducive to learning.
- Actively participates in extra curricular activities as requested by the principal.
- Participate as a regular teacher in IEP meetings for IDEA students.
- Good knowledge of content- curriculum- methods- materials and equipment of instructional specialty to which assigned.
- Good knowledge of student growth and development applicable to the grade assigned.
- Good knowledge of school’s program of studies related to mission- goals and organization.
- Continually study and learn current research and theory.
- Ability to plan and implement lessons based on curriculum objectives and the needs and abilities of students.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students- parents and peers- including serving as a family advocate in the district-wide Family Advocate System.
- Skilled and effective in oral and written communication.
- Excellent human relations skills.
- If teaching a foreign language- proficiency in oral and written communication in that language.
- If teaching choral music- ability to demonstrate proper techniques (singing)- proficiency in one or more musical instruments.
- For both choral and instrumental music teachers- excellent hearing and ability to determine pitch and tone variations.
- If teaching in vocational trade- including business trades- journey level proficiency in that trade is required with on-the-job journey- lead- or supervisory experience highly desirable.
- If teaching chemistry or certain science classes- ability to use appropriate masks and filters or protective clothing as protections from harmful liquids or fumes.
- If teaching physical education and unless assigned full time as health or classroom driver education teacher- must possess sufficient strength- dexterity- endurance- agility and skill to carry out the program of studies for the activities to which assigned.
- If a physical education teacher- some assignments may require sufficient athletics skills to demonstrate and perform appropriate athletic techniques at both the beginning and advance levels.
- If a physical education teacher- some assignments may require working outdoors in conditions which are moderately comfortable and require adaptation of clothes and dress to the conditions or the use of “sun blockers”.
- If a resource teacher- assist teachers upon their request in the locations- preparation and development of materials with emphasis on reading as it relates to literacy training; work daily with teachers and students as scheduled and approved by school administration.
- Physical and emotional ability and dexterity to perform required work and move about as needed in the fast-paced- high-intensive work environment.
- Ability to move around the room in order to effectively monitor student work and behavior.
- Possess the patience- caring and desire needed to work with the students and parents to see that each student has the opportunity to succeed.
- Take attendance and keep attendance registers- according to Board policy.
- Know and follow Section 504 and IDEA amendments.
- Be courteous and professional at all times.
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance.
- Other duties as assigned
Must have Spanish license/endorsement grades 9-12 or be able to obtain in the state of Kansas. May consider alternative certified license under KSDE.
Meets the employment qualifications set forth by the Kansas City- Kansas Board of Education and the Kansas State Department of Education.
Kansas teaching certificate in area of instructional responsibility
English as a Second Language endorsement preferred or be committed to obtaining that endorsement.
Maintains communication with teachers- other school personnel- and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the educational needs of students.
Provides health services- information- and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff.
Compiles data for statistical purposes.
Maintains confidentiality regarding educational records.
Maintains a daily log of school/staff visits and documentation.
Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies.
Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
Performs other related work as required.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written- oral- diagram- or schedule form.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and analyze and interpret general professional journals- technical procedures- or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports- general curriculum and learning theories- correspondence- and protocols. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators- staff- parents- students- and the general public.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job- the employee is regularly required to sit- walk- stand and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee must occasionally push items of 50 pounds such as pushing on a bike or wheelchair- or moving/rearranging furniture. While performing the duties of the job the employee occasionally may visit a child’s home. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision- distance vision- and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and is a standard acceptable level for this environment. Is directly responsible for students’ safety- work output and well-being.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional program; ability to plan and implement lessons based on division and school objectives and the needs and abilities of students. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students- peers- parents and community; ability to speak clear and concisely in written or oral communication.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 186 days
SALARY: Based on KCKPS Salary Schedule
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORT TO: Principal
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated in accordance with the KCKPS Board of Education policy.
This job description has been approved by all levels of management:
Employee signature below constitutes employee’s understanding of the requirements- essential functions and duties of the position.
Employee _____________________________ Date ____________
NA NA Job Start Date:
NAApplications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools USD 500 www.kckps.org
Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools (KCKPS) is an exceptional urban system using an array of innovative teaching strategies to meet the diverse needs of our students with a vigorous professional development program designed to support our teachers.
2010 N. 59th St. Kansas City, Kansas