PRINCIPAL HEAD- LIBERTY MEMORIAL CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL
APPLY AT USD497.ORG
PRINCIPAL HEAD- LIBERTY MEMORIAL CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL
TITLE: Middle School Principal
Reports to: Superintendent of Schools
Job Goal: To use leadership, supervisory, and administrative skills to promote the education development of students.
Supervisors: Staff members at the building level.
Qualifications: Secondary Building Administrative Certification
Administrative experience (preferred)
Performance and Responsibilities:
- Establishes and maintains an effective learning climate in the school.
- Implements district programs to meet specific needs of the school.
- Keeps the superintendent informed of the school’s activities and problems.
- Makes recommendations concerning the school’s administration and instruction.
- Prepares and administers the school budget and supervises the building’s school finances.
- Supervises the maintenance of all required building records and reports.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of reports, records, lists, and all other paperwork required or appropriate to the school’s administration.
- Works with various members of the central administrative staff on school challenges.
- Keeps supervisor informed of events and activities of an unusual nature as well as routine matters related to the supervisor’s accountability.
- Interprets and enforces district policies and administrative regulations.
- Maintains active relationships with students and parents.
- Budgets school time to provide for the efficient conduct of school instruction and business.
- Schedule classes within established guidelines to meet student needs.
- Assists in the development, revision, monitoring and evaluation of the curriculum.
- Supervises the counseling program to enhance individual student education and development.
- Maintains high standards of student conduct and enforces discipline as necessary, according to due process rights of students.
- Establishes guides for proper student conduct and maintaining student discipline.
- Attends special events held to recognize student achievement, school sponsored activities/functions and athletic events.
- Supervises the maintenance of accurate records on the progress and attendance of students.
- Assumes responsibility of his or her own professional growth and development through membership and participation in the affairs of professional organizations; attendance at district, regional, state, and national meetings, and enrollment in advanced courses.
- Keeps abreast of changes and developments in the profession by attending professional meetings, reading professional journals and other publications, and discussing problems of mutual interest with others in the field.
- Supervision of all school building personnel as assigned.
- Supervises the school’s teaching process to assure achievement for all students.
- Approves the master teaching schedule and any special assignments.
- Orients newly assigned staff members and assists in their development, as appropriate.
- Evaluates and counsels all staff members regarding their individual and group performances.
- Conducts staff meetings to keep members informed of such things as policy changes and new programs.
- Assists in the in-service orientation and training of teachers, with special responsibility for staff administrative procedures and instructions.
- Recommends, according to established procedures, the removal of a teacher whose work is unsatisfactory and maintains the appropriate documentations.
- Assumes responsibility for the safety and administration of the school plant.
- Supervises the daily use of school facilities for both academic and nonacademic purposes.
- Plans and supervises a crises plan (fire drills, tornado drills, and an emergency preparedness program).
- Provides for adequate inventories of school property and for the security and accountability for that property.
- Supervises all activities and programs that are outgrowths of the school’s curriculum.
- Supervises and evaluates the school’s extracurricular program.
- Participates in principals’ meetings, negotiations meetings, and such other meetings as are required or appropriate.
- Serves as an ex officio member of all committees and councils within the school.
- Cooperates with college and university officials regarding teacher training and preparation.
- Responds to written and oral requests for information.
- Assumes responsibility for all official school correspondence and news releases.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with local community groups and individuals to foster understanding and solicit support for overall school objectives and programs; to interpret Board policies and administrative directives; and to discuss and resolve individual student problems.
- Serves as a member or such committees and attends such meetings as directed by the superintendent.
- Delegates authority to responsible personnel to assume responsibility for the school in the absence of the principal.
- Collaborates with other secondary principals in working toward the mission of the district.
- Uses student achievement data to make decisions regarding the instructional program in the school.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to possess and maintain licensure (certification) as an administrator in the state of Kansas.
- Ability to speak clearly to various groups expressing ideas in a logical and forthright manner.
- Possess composition skills suitable for producing written communication for a variety of readers.
- Ability to quickly analyze a situation and provide prompt advice.
- Ability to respond to information requests in a courteous, timely and helpful manner.
- Ability to perform job responsibilities using appropriate software on district computer system and communication equipment.
- Ability to manage job responsibilities while meeting established guidelines.
- Ability to work constructively and cooperatively with others.
The tasks listed in this position description are subject to change at the discretion of the superintendent. The incumbent is expected to take on other duties as requested or assigned by his/her supervisor.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the Board’s policy on Evaluation.
Length of Contract: 260 days
Salary Range: TBD + fringe benefitsLawrence Public Schools USD 497
APPLY AT USD497.ORG Primary Location Lib Memorial Central Mid Schl
Salary Range $87,000.00 - $106,000.00 / Per Year
Shift Type Full-Time Job Start Date:
July-1-2020Applications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Samrie Devin - SDevin@usd497.org - 785-832-5000 X 4669
Lawrence Public Schools USD 497 www.usd497.org/
Lawrence Public Schools, USD 497, is a learning community committed to ensuring educational equity and excellence so that students of all races backgrounds achieve at high levels and graduate prepared for success in college, careers and life in a diverse and rapidly changing world.
Lawrence Public Schools serve approximately 11,000 students from pre-kindergarten through grade 12 in Lawrence, Kansas. Located on Interstate 70, about half-way between Topeka and Kansas City, Lawrence is an academic community, home to the University of Kansas and Haskell Indian Nations University. Our district is the seventh-largest in Kansas and with nearly 1,700 employees, one of the city's largest employers.
Twenty-one school campuses include a pre-K program,14 elementary schools (grades K-5), four middle schools (grades 6-8), two comprehensive high schools(grades 9-12), a K-8 virtual school and a virtual high school (grades 9-11). Lawrence Public Schools offer a Parents as Teachers program for families of children from birth to age three; adult basic education, English as a Second Language courses and G.E.D. study and testing through an Adult Learning Center; and the opportunity for adults to earn a diploma through the Lawrence Diploma-Completion Program.
110 McDonald Drive Lawrence, Kansas