TITLE: Principal – Elementary
LOCATION: Grant Elementary (Position Reopened)
The Kansas City- Kansas Public Schools (KCKPS) is a nationally recognized urban school district that serves approximately 22-000 students. With a Head Start program- three preschools- 30 elementary schools- 8 middle schools- and 5 college and career academies/high schools- the district serves a wonderfully diverse mixture of students. A remarkable 62 different languages are spoken in the homes of our students. To serve those students- the district employs approximately 3-650 staff- including more than 1-600 teachers.
The vision of the Kansas City- Kansas Public Schools is to be one of the Top 10 School Districts in the Nation. Our goal is that -Each student will exit high school prepared for college and careers in a global society- and at every level- performance is on track and on time for success.-
- Shaping a vision of academic success for all students
- Creating a climate hospitable to education
- Cultivating leadership in others
- Improving Instruction
- Managing people- data and processes
Duties of the Kansas City- Kansas Public School District Elementary Principal include- but are not limited to- the following:
- Set and enforce rigorous standards for student achievement that are in line with the goals of Kansas City- Kansas Public Schools.
- Create and support systems that assure high quality teaching and learning take place for all students in every classroom every day.
- Ensure the academic program meets or exceeds yearly student outcome goals as defined by KCKPS and further measured in accordance with Kansas Department of Education requirements.
- Develop and implement appropriate standards to effectively encourage positive student behavior- performance- and attendance.
- Enforce the district’s Student Code of Conduct. Ensure that all disciplinary issues are addressed fairly and immediately.
- Foster a school climate that supports both student and staff success and promotes respect and appreciation for all students- staff and parents.
- Develop organizational goals and objectives consistent with the vision- mission and values of Kansas City- Kansas Public School District.
- Manage student enrollment process to ensure that the school achieves its targeted enrollment projections.
- Maintain active involvement in the school improvement planning process with the KCKPS School Officials by providing resources for decision-making and priority setting.
- Create a culture of excellence- teamwork and collaboration amongst the staff- teachers- students and families.
- Supervise the collection- allocation- and accounting of all school funds as required in the district guidelines.
- Ensure the safety and security of all students- staff- visitors- and public and property.
- Collaborates with staff to effectively implement and monitor the school’s plan to improve student learning.
- Foster culture of professionalism among teachers and staff.
- Manage- evaluate and develop a team of teachers and school staff.
- Work with teachers to constantly assess and improve student achievement results.
- Ensure use of effective- research-based teaching methodologies and practices.
- Implement data-driven instructional practices and lead the training and professional development regarding student performance.
- Work with teachers to improve their teaching practice through coaching- professional development- modeling- and collaborative planning.
- In collaboration with the Director of Special Education- supervise and expedite the screening- referral- and placement process for special education students under the guidelines established by the Board of Education and the Wyandotte County Special Education Cooperative.
- Implement the budget development process with the assistance of the KCKPS School District Superintendent- Chief Financial Officer and other assigned support personnel that meets targeted requirements.
- Supervise the preparation and maintenance of all school records and reports in a usable- efficient manner- including student progress and attendance as required in Board policy and district guidelines.
- Plan and supervise fire and tornado drills as required by law and district policy. This may also include coordinating additional safety plans for the staff- students- visitors- and public at large for use within assigned building(s).
- Implement as needed and supervise the district’s Standard Response Protocol.
- Supervise the maintenance of inventories of properties of the assigned building(s).
- Monitor and evaluate facilities and recommend renovations as needed to the authorized facility officials.
- Coordinate and develop the master teaching schedule to meet student-learning needs within your assigned building(s).
- Supervise the collection- allocation- and accounting of all school funds as required in the district guidelines. Ensure compliance of local- state- and federal funding laws as required.
- Oversee management of school records and resources as necessary.
Employee Relations and Personnel Management:
- Communicate and implement the vision that supports KCKPS goals and values.
- With the collaboration of the Human Resource staff; recruit- select- and hire school staff- including teachers and school-based support staff.
- Continually monitor progress on all measures of school and staff performance through effective and consistent evaluations. Administer KCKPS approved personnel policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement an effective orientation for new staff to the programs- staff- students- community- and facilities of the school building(s) assigned.
- Cooperate with college and university officials regarding teacher training and preparation for student teachers and/or student teacher practicums.
- Administer appropriate provisions of all negotiated agreements with employee groups as provided in the agreements.
- Ensure legal hiring and termination procedures in collaboration with the District’s Human Resources staff.
- Oversee any and all disciplinary actions- including initial investigations and complaints.
- Provide for adequate supervision- training- and evaluation of all staff and volunteers.
- Serve as liaison between teachers- parents- and the KCK community.
- Exhibit a high degree of professionalism in all elements of this position- while serving as a contributing member of the KCKPS District and Community and a dedicated role model for other employees.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Superintendent of Schools or designated School Official.
- A minimum of five years of successful teaching experience at the elementary level.
- Hold or be eligible for a Kansas certificate for building administrator grades PreK-12. Elementary schools cover PreK – 5th grade or K – 5th grade at KCKPS.
- Experience as a building administrator or educational leader at the elementary school level.
- Knowledge of effective teaching research and methods.
- Demonstrated ability to work with elementary school students.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent skills in human relations; i.e. conferencing- active listening- team building- collaborative decision-making.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of principles of finance relating to elementary schools.
- Effective delegation skills necessary for an effective operation of a school.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to provide parents opportunities to participate in school planning.
- Demonstrated skills in facilitation of staff development.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job- the employee is regularly required to sit- walk- stand- talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee must occasionally push items of 50 pounds such as pushing on a bike or wheelchair- or moving/rearranging furniture. In the performance of this job- the employee will need to perform extensive work using a computer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and is a standard acceptable level for this environment. Employee is directly responsible for students’ safety- work output and well-being. While performing the duties of the job the employee occasionally may visit a child’s home. Occasional district or statewide travel may be required. Prolonged or irregular hours will sometimes be necessary in the performance of job responsibilities.
Applications will be reviewed prior to the deadline date.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 211 days
SALARY: Salary based on the Administrators and Supervisors Salary Schedule
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
REPORT TO: Assistant Superintendent or designee
EVALUATION: Performance of the principal will be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education policy on administrator’s evaluations by the Assistant Superintendent- Executive Director- or designee.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. The individual currently holding this position performs additional duties and additional duties may be assigned.
Kansas City- Kansas Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KCKPS does not discriminate on the basis of race- religion- color- national origin- sex- age- disability or any other factors that cannot be lawfully considered in its programs and activities as required by all applicable laws and regulations.
This job description has been approved by all levels of management:
Employee signature below constitutes employee’s understanding of the requirements- essential functions and duties of the position.
Employee _____________________________ Date ____________
NA NA Job Start Date:
NAApplications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools USD 500 www.kckps.org
Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools (KCKPS) is an exceptional urban system using an array of innovative teaching strategies to meet the diverse needs of our students with a vigorous professional development program designed to support our teachers.
2010 N. 59th St. Kansas City, Kansas