Public Information Director
Public Information Director
Purpose: Public Information Director coordinates and supports positive public relations between the school district and the community.
Reports to: Superintendent
Pay Rate: Commensurate with education- training and experience
Term of Employment: 12 month employee
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field.
- Experience and knowledge of desktop publishing software- technical equipment and programs.
- Ability to learn and manage web-based information systems.
- Experience with website design and maintenance.
- Experience with Photoshop- In-Design- Illustrator- Final Cut Pro- Microsoft- and related programs.
- Ability to work cooperatively with supervisors and co-workers.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform responsibilities without necessity of close supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate with the school district community.
- Ability to meet attendance standards to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to maintain a generally positive attitude.
Functions and Responsibilities:
Universal USD 250 Classified Standards:
- Support the philosophy and mission of USD 250 and the value of education.
- Comply with the privacy rights of students.
- Safeguard confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Communicate pleasantly and effectively with all the members of the school district and community.
- Provide excellence in customer service both internally and externally.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace to insure a safe and efficient working environment.
- Ensure that all activities conform to district- state- and federal guidelines.
- React to change positively and productively.
- Keep abreast of new information- innovative ideas and techniques.
- Adhere to all district health and safety policies- including all precautions of the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
Specific Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develops a strategic plan for growth and vision for the Communications Department of USD 250 to adequately meet the needs of the school district.
- Positively represent the district at various school and community events.
- Participate actively in various community organizations including but not limited to the United Way and the Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent concerning current issues and events in the district.
- Communicate regularly with Building Principals and Secretaries for the list of activities and programs to be highlighted.
- Develop public relations and communication campaigns to build internal and community awareness and understanding of district initiatives and their impact on students and families.
- Develop & maintain a variety of multimedia communication tools- including- but not limited to- district websites- social networking sites.
- Develop and execute public relations- advocacy- and communication strategy for the District- including media releases- meeting summaries- website articles- and all other online or print materials.
- Manage all online public relations activities.
- Coordinate crisis communications for the District and schools.
- Quickly and accurately respond to inquiries and complaints received from citizens- news media- and school personnel.
- Develop various publications (brochures- calendars- photographs- videos) for the District- schools- and programs.
- Provide professional public relations counsel and assistance to administration- School Board- staff- and students.
- Ensure the External Communication Policy is followed.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with news reporters and the organizations they represent.
- Serve as the information liaison and intermediary between the District administrators/officials and media.
- Respond to all media inquiries in a timely manner.
- Complete assigned projects and maintain organization of multiple projects simultaneously with a high standard of quality and attention to detail.
- Communicate with all district staff and send notifications and reminders about upcoming events.
- Assist the superintendent in creating presentations and the preparation of press releases.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
- Requires physical exertion to manually move- lift- carry- pull or push heavy objects or materials.
- Requires stooping- bending and reaching.
- Must be able to adapt to a fast-paced- multi-faceted office environment.
NA NA Job Start Date:
NAApplications Due By:
Job Contact Information
Pittsburg USD 250 www.usd250.org
Unified School District 250 serves the city of Pittsburg, Kansas and the immediate rural area surrounding our community. Over 2,700 students and 500 employees work daily to provide a first-class teaching and learning environment for students pre-kindergarten through the senior year of high school.
Our students are served in four elementary schools, a middle school, a high school, and an alternative education setting. All our facilities have been renovated or newly constructed since 2001 and contain the latest equipment and technology for facilitating student inquiry and learning.
Our staff is well-trained and experienced with about 60% of our teachers having a master’s degree or higher. The average experience level of teachers in the district exceeds 10 years. We are fortunate to be located in the same hometown as Pittsburg State University, providing our students and staff access to excellent educational experiences as well as the cultural and activity enrichment benefits of living near a university environment.
At Pittsburg Community Schools we believe in success for every child. With our family partners we are creating a better future for Pittsburg and its citizens.
Unified School District 250 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its employment procedures, educational programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Destry Brown, Superintendent of Schools, 510 Deill, PO Drawer 75, Pittsburg, KS 66762 (620) 235-3100.
510 Deill Pittsburg, Kansas