Elementary School Counselor
Purpose: The Elementary School Counselor helps students attain an optimum level of personal and social adjustment. In order to coordinate a comprehensive counseling program, the Elementary Counselor must work closely with the other staff and administration of the school district.
Responsible to: Principal
Payment rate: According to negotiated agreement
1. Masters Degree from an accredited college/university.
2. Two years’ accredited teaching experience.
3. Current Kansas State Teaching Certificate with appropriate endorsement on file in the Central Office.
4. Health and Inoculation Certificate on file in the Central Office (after employment offer is made).
5. Desire to continue career improvement by enhancing skills and job performance.
1. Ability to help students attain an optimum level of personal and social adjustment.
2. Ability to consult and work cooperatively with parents, teachers, administrators, and supporting agencies concerning the needs and abilities of students.
3. Ability to ensure all activities conform to District guidelines.
4. Ability to communicate and work effectively and cooperatively with members of the school district and community.
5. React to change in an instructional and productive manner, and handle other tasks as assigned.
6. Ability to work to implement the vision and mission of the District.
7. Ability to work with technology/computer systems.
8. Ability to supervise, direct, motivate, and correct employees’ job performance.
9. Ability to model commitment and dedication to work.
10. Ability to work independently and without supervision, and complete work in an efficient manner.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
1. Must occasionally work in noisy and crowded environments, with numerous interruptions.
1. Ability to provide individual counseling and group guidance to help students cope effectively with personal, social, academic, career, and family concerns.
2. Ability to consult with parents, teachers, administrators, and supporting agencies concerning the educational needs and abilities of students.
3. Ability to implement a comprehensive appraisal process by:
a. selecting and administering appropriate ability, achievement, and interesting tests,
b. visiting with students and interviewing interested adults, and
c. interpreting results to students, teachers, administrators, and parents.
4. Ability to update and maintain confidential student records, including cumulative transcripts and student files.
5. Ability to keep student records confidential.
6. Ability to identify students with special needs and make appropriate recommendations and referrals.
7. Ability to implement an effective program of educational and career planning.
8. Ability to assist in a continuous program of student orientation.
9. Ability to assist in making recommendations for school curriculum and instructional practices.
10. Ability to assist with the activities of student organizations.
11. Ability to attend and assist when necessary with school events such as musical programs, athletics, student recognition ceremonies, graduation, and open house.
12. Ability to observe and follow all school district policies during all activities.
13. Ability to keep current on new information, innovative ideas and techniques by attending staff development activities and participating in professional growth opportunities.
14. Obtain advance approval of the Principal for all activities and expenditures according to the current budget.
15. Ability to implement and follow all District health and safety policies, including all precautions of the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
16. Ability to perform other duties and assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Principal or other Administrative Staff.
Term of Employment: Academic year plus other days as assigned.
Evaluation: Performance effectiveness evaluated in accordance with provisions of Kansas Statutes and Board of Education Policy.
Turner USD 202
Turner USD 202Turner USD 202
For more information on Turner follow the link below: