Work as effective team member in each site as assigned. Substitute for absent cook to ensure regularly planned meal and meal routine is maintained for the day. Prepare and maintain food at appropriate temperature, have knowledge of the Department of Health rules and regulation and Head Start Program Performance Standards. Gain knowledge of proper food preparation, temperature control, sanitation, and portion sizes. Help to train new cooking staff. When applicable, and as assigned, substitute for other absent staff to insure appropriate adult/child ratio is maintained.
· Be a positive role model during mealtimes, classroom times,
· Implements, supplies, and maintains all nutritional activities in the Head Start Center.
· Maintain cooking area and equipment by cleaning and disinfecting the kitchen and tables, cleaning appliances and utensils.
· Assure a child helper is assigned to assist cleaning dining area.
· Review menus to determine food requirements including variety and quantity of food for preparation.
· Assemble supplies and equipment needed for daily cooking activities.
· Season and prepare a wide variety of foods in accordance with prescribed scratch cooking recipes following the established monthly menus provided by Nutrition Service Coordinator.
· Contact Nutrition Service Coordinator for guidance if the menu must be modified.
· Complete production sheets and other records as required.
· Prepare foods for special events as needed.
· Prepare special diets according to prescribed standards.
· Educate customers on nutritional values and food groups.
· Report any malfunctioning kitchen appliance to Site Manager/Site Director / Nutrition Coordinator to ensure maintenance request is completed.
· Work with teaching staff to develop a plan to work with children for preparing tables and dining areas for meals and cleanup.
· Follow current Kansas Child Care Licensing/ Head Start Program Performance Standards/ CACFP guidelines and expectations.
· Document daily, in the menu book and complete meal counts per CACFP regulations.
· Follow the daily schedule and allow children opportunity to make choices in learning experiences
· Interact with children in ways that facilitate the development of expressive language and thought
· Adapt indoor and outdoor activities to maximize the independence of children with Special Needs.
· Demonstrate realistic expectations about children’s attention spans, interests, social abilities, and physical needs
· Utilize Positive Behavior Support (PBS) strategies to prevent and defuse disruptive behavior.
· Comply with Head Start Performance Standards, Licensing Requirements, and Program Policies.
· Respect and support cultural differences and diverse family structures.
· Demonstrate good work habits such as arriving on time and adhering to appropriate break times.
· Work with Nutrition Services Coordinator and Nutrition Lead to train new cooks as requested.
· Work cooperatively and appropriately with volunteers, professional partners and co-workers.
· Attend mandatory In-Service trainings and staff meetings.
· Report any suspected abuse or neglect to appropriate authority.
· Advocate for SEK-CAP, Inc. in the community.
· Maintain and assure confidentiality and privacy of SEK-CAP customers.
· Uphold and promote the core values and mission statement of SEK-CAP.
· Support management decisions both in actions and words.
· Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
Community Action Program