Title: Special Education Teacher
Reports To: Building Principal/Director of Special Education
Provide consultation- coordination- planning- curricular resources- evaluation- remediation- and direct instructional services for students with exceptional needs who are placed in a special education program for the majority of the school day.
Assigned students/staff members
As per Negotiated Agreement
Bachelor’s degree in education with appropriate Kansas licensure.
1. Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
2. Assists the Individualized Education Planning Team in designing an Individualized
Educational Program (IEP) for students with exceptional needs who are to be
Assigned to the special class for the majority of their school day.
3. Provides direct instruction and services for pupils whose needs are identified in a
written IEP. Monitors the IEP of each student placed in the special education class
and assumes responsibility for contacting and consulting with parents and
Individualized Educational Planning Team about indicated changes in the IEP.
4. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the
maturity and interests of the students.
5. Prepares for classes assigned- and shows written evidence of preparation upon request
of the administration.
6. Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
7. Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and - - in
harmony with the goals - - establishes clear objectives for all lessons- units- projects
and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
8. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media- consistent with
the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the
individuals or student groups involved.
9. Strives to implement by instruction and action the district’s philosophy of education
and instructional goals and objectives.
10. Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress
reports as required.
11. Diagnoses the learning disabilities of students on a regular basis- seeking the
assistance of district specialists as required.
12. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students- equipment-
materials- and facilities.
13. Maintains accurate- complete and correct records as required by the teacher’s
contract- negotiated agreement- Board of Education policy- administrative
regulation- and laws of the state of Kansas.
14. Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing students
and for the classroom- develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and
procedure- and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
15. Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related
purposes when required or requested at mutually agreeable times.
16. Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for paraprofessionals and volunteer(s)-
and evaluates their performances.
17. Works cooperatively with staff on various tasks and/or assignments.
18. Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
19. Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
20. Other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
Physical and emotional ability and dexterity to perform required work and move about as
needed in a fast-pace- high-intensive work environment.
Please go the district's website at https://haysville.schoolrecruiter.net/Index.aspx to complete an online application.
For more information about the Haysville School District visit our website at http://www.usd261.com
"Unified School District 261 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, military status or age in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Dr. Michael Clagg, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources, 1745 W. Grand, Haysville, Kansas 67060 Office Phone: (316) 554-2206, Email: email@example.com"