Greenbush - The Southeast Kansas Education Service Center is seeking applications for a Teacher of the Deaf.
Anticipated start date: August 1, 2019. Position will remain open until filled. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Summary: To provide educational programming and specialized instruction, with an emphasis on language acquisition and communication skills, to students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing (D/HH). To assist regular education teachers in providing instruction to integrated hearing impaired students assigned to their classrooms.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary/Secondary/Special Education.
2. Valid Kansas teaching license with an endorsement of Teacher of the Deaf
3. Demonstrate a proficiency in sign language systems
4. Knowledge of relevant technology
5. Must possess a valid driver’s license
6. Ability to travel between sites
1. Receive referrals from participating area special education agencies and complete followup promptly.
2. Participation in the development of the students Individual Education Plan.
3. Develop positive working relationships with administrators and teachers.
4. Knowledgeable about current and evidence based practices (technology, resources, etc.).
5. Provide instruction in the development and maintenance of skills to meet the learner’s unique needs from Birth to 21.
6. Schedule time efficiently for assessment, instruction, planning, preparation of materials, travel and conference with relevant school and other key individuals.
7. Assure supplementary materials, educational aids, and equipment needed by the student and the classroom teacher, are provided in a timely manner to ensure the student’s maximum participation in all classroom activities.
8. Provide assistance to the classroom teacher in academic subjects and activities of the classroom that, as a direct result of the student’s hearing impairment, require adaptation for the student.
9. Provide in service training programs for school personnel and students. Provide education for parents regarding the needs of students with hearing loss.
10. Follow the program guidelines for education of the deaf and hard of hearing as defined in the Kansas Special Education Guidelines.
1. Recommend the purchase of educational materials for the hearing impaired.
2. Must support the Service Center mission, goals, and objectives
3. Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills
4. Must maintain strict confidentiality
5. Must demonstrate proficiency in ability to produce work as requested
6. Must assume responsibility for individual professional growth by staying current with literature, research, and/or practices
7. Must demonstrate proficiency in ability to effectively and regularly communicate with Service Center employees and constituents
8. Must complete all assignments in a time sensitive manner
9. Must meet all safety requirements as directed by the Service Center
10. Must perform other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director or designee
Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this position.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
1. Require prolonged sitting and standing.
2. Work in a noisy environment with many interruptions.
3. Requires frequent lifting and moving of boxes, materials, and equipment up to a maximum of 40 lbs.
4. Requires extensive travel during the workday.
5. Occasional stooping, bending, and reaching.
6. May be exposed to hepatitis B and other communicable diseases.
Greenbush ESC # 609
Ensuring Equal Educational Opportunities for Everyone!
With more than 500 employees, the Southeast Kansas Education Service Center— Greenbush offers programs to school districts that are otherwise unavailable, unaffordable, or just more effective and efficient through a cooperative effort. At the core of every Greenbush service is the uncompromising belief that every learner, regardless of age or geographic location, deserves equal educational opportunities.
When working for Greenbush, you could potentially be working anywhere in the state of Kansas. We have more than 80 locations, with the main offices located in Girard, Lawrence, and Topeka. Our programs reach far beyond these locations allowing us to offer a variety of services that include, but are not limited to:
· Hands-on learning labs at the Abernathy Science Education Center
· Providing professional development
· Team-building at the Challenge Ropes Course
· Experiential learning at the Camp and Retreat Center
· Helping learners receive their diploma or credit recovery via virtual and online learning
· Assisting Special Education agencies to access reimbursement for school provided health services
· Specialized learning through Special Day Schools
· Parents as Teachers
· Vision/Hearing and Tele-Therapy services
· Migrant Education
· Infant Toddler Services
· Administrative Services
· Cooperative Purchasing
· Custodial and Transportation services
Greenbush employees are as unique as their programs and enjoy a variety of opportunities. They are supported with competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a shared belief in supporting schools across the state. Visit our website at www.greenbush.org for more information of all Greenbush programs and services!